Learn how and where to find a beautiful new dining room table and chairs.
The dining room is a traditionally important area in our homes, a space in which we often gather as a family to talk and share meals together. The furniture we choose to fill the space should therefore be comfortable, affordable, and solidly constructed to last for the years to come. Keep reading to learn how to find and choose the right dining room set for your home.
Price is often one of the main factors in our decision to make a big purchase like furniture. When you begin your search for a new dining set, you’ll likely want to compare different options and find an affordable one that also fulfills the other items on this list.
Mega Furniture TX offers weekly deals that can help you find the best prices for high-quality home furniture items. We also offer financing options to make it easier than ever to get the right furniture piece for your home.
There are many different styles out there when you are choosing a table. Look for a style that suits your preferences as well as your home’s feel. The materials you choose can really change the “feel” of the space. Some of the most popular materials include:
- Wood - this classic material is durable and easy to repair, making it one of the most popular styles.
- Veneer - wood veneer is an affordable alternative to solid wood featuring a very thin layer of solid wood glued to plywood or other wood core.
- Stone - marble, quartz, and other stone tabletops are durable and absorb stains easily. They can also be quite heavy.
- Glass - clear, frosted, or tinted. They are inexpensive and can create a feeling of openness and space.
- Metal - stainless steel, brass, and other metals are more likely used for the table base than the top. They can be difficult to maintain because of their higher-shine.
- Plastic and Laminates - inexpensive and can last a long time, but are generally not considered the best quality.
Look for a dining room set that is built to last. You can review the floor model for signs of wear and tear. Nicks and scratches may indicate how the table would endure through serious use at your home. On average, you can expect a well-built dining room table to last 5-10 years.
Test the dining room chairs to see how they feel to sit on and whether they would be comfortable to use for long periods of time. If the piece is beautiful but uncomfortable, you probably won’t get as much use out of it than a comfortable-but-stylish alternative.
A dining table is a deceptively large piece of furniture, so you need to account for both its fit as well as the needed additional space around it for the chairs. In addition to the footprint of the table, we recommend at least three feet of breathing room on all sides so you can comfortably sit in a chair and move around the space.
To get an approximate measure, measure both the length and width of the area you can dedicate to your dining set. Then, subtract about six feet from those two measurements to get a target dining table length and width.
Just like the materials used, there is a variety of table shapes that may or may not be right for the space or you needs, including:
- Rectangular: This standard option is great for dividing space in an open floor plan and fits well in larger spaces.
- Square: Fashionable and fits perfectly in square-sized dining rooms. This style usually only accommodates four people, so it’s not a good option if you have a large family or entertain often.
- Round: Since round tables don’t have corners, they allow for more space for the family and guests to get around to find their seat. They do take up a considerable footprint on their own, though.
- Oval: Works great in narrow dining rooms and can seat more than four people in a relatively small space.
These tips can help you find dining room furniture that is perfect for your home. Mega Furniture TX offers many different dining room sets that combine affordability with comfort and style. Browse our website today for the latest furniture deals, or visit one of our stores in person in the Austin, San Antonio, Temple, or Laredo TX areas.