We all need a supportive mattress - one that sticks up for your spine and promotes your dreams, a mattress that fosters the best night’s sleep so you can start your days feeling amazing. And picking the best mattress depends on you – your individual needs and preferences.
All you have to do is figure out what you want and need from a mattress. Consider your body type, sleep position, and general preferences – do you have back pain, have trouble sleeping through the night? Do you snore or do you sleep hot? The answers to those questions will set you on the right path. Also, consider cost, convenience, and durability.
Buying a mattress is a big investment and admittedly it can get overwhelming. Let’s analyze these topics further and help you decide on the best mattress for you.
Tips For Buying A Mattress
Identify Your Sleeping Style
Some people sleep in one position for most of the night and others toss and turn. Some have a strong preference for sleeping on their side or their back. Others have medical conditions that require a certain sleeping position.
Your sleep style will be a big factor in dictating what kind of mattress you want, so figuring out your patterns is a good first step to finding the perfect mattress.
Learn About Mattress Types
There are five main types of mattresses: foam, innerspring, hybrid, latex and airbed. Innerspring mattresses are the traditional mattress, popular with families nationwide.
The four other main types of mattresses have grown in popularity over the years, however, because they can be more versatile:
- Innerspring – Inside these mattresses is a matrix of coils that make up a support system. They’re the typical bouncy bed and often don’t offer a lot of support or the most comfortable platform for a good night’s sleep. They are usually the lowest priced mattress of the bunch, though.
- Foam – Have you ever heard of memory foam mattresses? They’re the most popular of this category. These mattresses contain no coils. They’re made completely out of foam and are known to contour to the angles and curves of the body. Foam mattresses have the reputation of being a great choice for side-sleepers and for couples sharing a bed.
- Hybrids – Combine foam and innerspring mattresses and you get a hybrid - a mattress with an innerspring core, surrounded by foam and, sometimes, latex. These mattresses are great for hot sleepers because they don’t retain heat and they’re good middle-ground mattresses.
- Latex – Eco-conscious consumers love latex mattresses because they can be made with natural and organic latex products. The mattresses are made by layering latex. They’re bouncy and they contour to the body, making them another middle-ground option.
- Airbed – An air chamber in these mattresses means you can adjust firmness and flexibility as you sleep. These days, airbed mattresses are controlled by a remote or by your smartphone. Airbed mattresses are great for couples because you can set the firmness individually on each side.
Set Your Strategic Price Range
Narrow down your search by setting your price range and then looking for the best mattress that fits within that range. You can further refine your search (and get a better deal!) by watching for companies that offer trial periods, have epic return policies, and offer mattress warranties. Keep an eye out for time-wasting gimmicks and over-the-top advertising, too.
Try Before You Buy
You’ll spend your first night on your new mattress with confidence when you’ve tried it out first. That’s why it’s smart to do your research and then find a brick-and-mortar store that offers a selection of mattresses in-house. An informed, literal hands-on test is the best research you can do to make sure you’ve selected the best mattress for you.
If you get a chance to chat with your doctor, you can get great advice on choosing a mattress that’s perfect for your specific body. Your doctor will be able to offer some advice on what you need to support your spine, joints, and your breathing so you can get a good night's sleep every night.
You and your mattress can be a match made in heaven and doing a bit of research on how to find the right mattress will help you find each other. Narrow down your search by listing out your specific needs and matching them up with mattress features – and find yourself a good night’s sleep!
At Mega Furniture TX, we offer the best in-stock selection of mattresses at guaranteed low prices. Mega Furniture TX is the place to find any furniture, from contemporary to antique, we have it all. Stop into one of our convenient locations in Austin, Killeen or San Antonio, TX today!